Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Just a part of life

Sorry I've been kinda absent in the chatter but I'm enjoying all your posts and comments. And I really, really enjoyed this first lesson. The quotes and examples they give (especially that table with the weekly theme) are fantastic. What struck me most and what I've been working on this week is the ideas I had when reading this scripture:


"And thou shalt teach [the commandments of God]
diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when
thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the
way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up"
(Deuteronomy 6:7)

The Gospel isn't my "religion" per se, with designated times and sections of my life. It's just a part of everyday life; something I can tell is the same for each of you. So I've been trying to just chat about the Gospel and scripture stories more throughout the day. You know, tell the Joseph Smith story when sitting on the couch, or about Nephi while driving in the car, or ask Justin what he thinks about something I've been reading, or just simply saying to Wally, "He's a child of God too" while walking past somebody.

I grew up in a home where Gospel discussion felt too formal for me at times; I still cringe at formal, sit-down and talk about our deepest testimony and Gospel questions. (I'm immature) So I tend to try at make things a little more natural. It's a balance though that I'm trying to figure out, especially in terms of couple scripture study. So I'm learning from what all y'all are sharing. Thanks!

5 comments:

  1. I want to do the same thing, I want to talk about the scriptures stories with my kids often. I love that scripture Deuteronomy too- I feel like I want to stitch it onto a pillow or something (if only I had time).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate your thoughts on making the gospel a more informal, comfortable thing. I believe that is often how the Savior lived and taught. (Think woman at the well. It wasn't a synagog or a temple... it was a well! Talk about informal! He also did the formal - but more frequently, we read about the informal.)

    If more people were comfortable talking about gospel stories and testimonies casually when prompted, the gospel would spread faster than it already is. Good for you teaching your kids day by day, sporadically rather than "only during FHE or during scripture time". Obviously those are great teaching times, but we should not limit ourselves to just that. I hope I can do that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad I am not the only one that feels awkward when things are really formal (mostly when it is just Danny and I). He is my best friend and for some reason when we get all formal I almost think it is funny (I'm immature as well). I hope that we can learn of the gospel formally when needed and informally as well. That way the gospel will truly be apart of every aspect of our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love you!! I grew up with very formal discussions too and they always made me want to just hide and didn't make me want to share anything about what I was feeling. It wasn't that I didn't have a testimony and didn't know the answers, but something about my parents asking me directly and specifically made it so uninviting. So, yes, I like the idea of having "informal" learning. I try to do this mostly through music: music all the time, in the car, songs at bed time, songs on walks. Then we can talk about the words, and where the stories come from. Pictures are a great tool for that too. Caleb has some Sunday books that he looks at during Sacrament Meeting (homemade, of course!), and he's started asking questions about the pictures: "What's happening?" "Who's that guy?" "What's that little thingy?" (lol yes he says 'thingy'). It's great to be able to tell him stories, at HIS level.

    It's curious to me that this lesson quoted Deuteronomy about raising our children and teaching them because that specifically has been on my mind for a LONG time. I'm seriously investigating home schooling and I feel like teaching the scriptures and doctrine fall right along that mindset of our lives being their education. (any other input concerning homeschooling is totally welcome too)

    Wow, long comment. Y'all make me feel like I have such a long way to go!! But thanks for the great ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this. I have the world's greatest Mother-In-Law who is so good at this. She is well known for constantly saying "that's a tithing testimony." Its used in so many instances. The other day, she watched Lucy while Jake and I went to the dentist. When we returned to pick up the babe, we informed her that neither of us had any cavities. "What a blessing...that's a tithing testimony" was her reply. She is constantly helping us remember that blessing come from paying tithing, in all forms of life...not simply financial.

    Like my Mother-in-Law's example, it doesn't take much to make the gospel part of daily life. its as simple as saying, "I love you, mommy loves you, and Jesus loves you" (which is what Jake says to Lucy everyday). or "That's a tithing testimony." I think, like its been previously mentioned, that if our children grow up with the church and the gospel as a simple part of everyday life, they'll be more prepared to face the challenges that are sure to come their way.

    ReplyDelete