Saturday, April 14, 2012

The Box

So writing this title, I couldn't help but think of a book I read this past Christmas called The Christmas Box... I cried (maybe a little because I just had a baby a few months before, but who knows). You should read it.  The end.


On to what I was going to actually post... After so much commentary with regard to the Family History Box, I feel credit must be paid to the one who gifted me this box, a friend's sweet mother - Caroline Hemming -  who recently passed away. It's interesting how something like family history takes on a whole new meaning when people you love start passing away. It makes you want to bundle up everything you can about them before they go, kind of like a blanket of memories. I'm grateful she gave me this box, so that I can do that for my family.

 A few of you mentioned wanting to do something similar, and since I'm a very visual person, I thought I'd post a few pictures and show you what it looks like.

Here is the "box".  
It fits size 8x5 cards, with a little room to spare (as you can see below).

 Inside the box:
I forgot to mention that there are month dividers, because who really wants to flip through 365 cards looking for one specific one?
You can also see that she's printed up the days of the year on clear labels that she's placed in the upper left corner of each 5x8 card. It may be a little time consuming to put it together, but I think it's totally worth it.


Let me know if you have any questions. I'm grateful that we had this challenge this week, it has definitely helped me to pull the box back out and make sure I'm recording!   Thank you, Marissa!

1 comment:

  1. and it's a beautiful box! Call my shallow, but I think I'm 90% more likely to write on cards in a lovely box versus a plain one. Thank you for sharing and for giving added meaning. What a beautiful gift to have received!

    ReplyDelete