Tuesday, April 3, 2012

One more question

Ok, so this is a bit personal, but I'm hoping maybe some of you deal with this? If not, just ignore this and be relieved you're not encumbered with miserly vs. charity issues. It's a tender subject for me, because I so want to serve and hate the battle that goes on inside when I do.

So my question is this: how do you balance service, specifically taking meals to people, with wisdom and budgeting?

I live in a ward with LOTS of needs. Maybe 30% of the ward is "full-functioning" and even that section is made up of young families with new jobs and school debt. I love my ward. I've gained fabulous friends, and it's good to be needed. Good to take meals several times a month and have missionaries over. It's so good to be blessed in and because of those opportunities. And I do love it.

I just struggle with wanting to take meals weekly to various families and trying to stay on budget. You see we rarely buy meat and don't really do sides with our meals. Our staple meals cost less than $3 to make. But I can't take those to new moms or sick families or lonely elderly. Especially with the amount of allergy struggles in my ward. So, what to do?

What do you do?

3 comments:

  1. Angela, you have such a huge heart! In all honesty, I have no answer, but I have experiences. When Cody and I were first married, we decided that when we saw a need or felt prompted to help, that we would. You seem to be of the same mindset. It's a blessing, but sometimes I feel weighed down as well. I have often pondered, "Where is the balance? At what point do I say, "I want to help, but that's as much as I can give. I'm not available to be a chauffeur, a cook, etc. all the time."? I don't know that there is an answer, but because we decided a long time ago to give, regardless of how little or how much we had, we have never seriously "wanted".

    A great example that comes to mind: I've just finished reading a bunch of books about Corrie ten Boom (her family hid Jews during WWII in Holland - was captured, etc). Theirs was an open door policy to all who needed a place to eat, stay, etc. They were on ration stamps - so REALLY there was NOTHING more to give, other than adding water to the already thin potato soup. In this I see the principle of giving of what you have. It will not be the lavish meal you wish to take every time, but because you are willing to give, it is enough. I can't think of anyone who would be offended that you brought over what you made for your own family that night.

    Ask Heavenly Father. He knows the needs of your family (to keep a budget) and those who are wanting.
    I have a testimony that when we give the Lord the opportunity to guide us, he often makes up what we would have had, had we kept that time/food/money/etc to ourselves. Like tithing, I don't know how it works, but I know it does work. I have an inkling you have found this to be the case as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been thinking a lot about this question lately, as Jake and I work toward some pretty big financial goals. As I was singing Lucy to sleep tonight, the words of the ever so well known Primary song "Give Said the Little Stream" popped into my head. My favorite line goes like this "I'm small I know, but wherever I go, the grass grows greener still." I thought about how small my contributions really are to other people, but to me, I'm giving all I can. I believe that its truly like Jessica said, if we give all we can, the "grass will grow greener" all around us, in our own lives and the lives of those we seek to serve.

    And Ange...for all its worth...a loaf of your homemade bread would definitely be enough for me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad you posed this question. I have really felt stumped on this many a time. I think as everyone else has said we do what we can when we can and try and do it directed by the spirit. My mom said something really great when I asked her what she thought and she said, that sometimes there may be something else that would be helpful. Maybe meals are being taken in but maybe that person really just needs a visit, a phone call or a encouraging note. Obviously this all easier said then done but I think my mom is right, oftentimes there may be a service we can offer that doesn't necessarily have sign up going around.

    ReplyDelete