Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Failing...


I am completely failing this week with the goal of trying to write every day. How many times I have I written this week? Once.

I'll be honest I didn't read all the lessons before putting this together because I wanted to read them all as I did the challenge. That being said I was surprised to find out that this weeks lesson was focused more on creating a personal and family history rather than just keeping a journal.

I did have some thoughts though as I read...

  • If prophets of old could keep records when their way of writing was much harder shouldn't I be able to type out a paragraph or two each day? each week?
  •  We are blessed to have so much convenience in our lives making everyday chores so much easier and faster. I heard a quote from President Packer once in which he basically said that we have all these things so that we can use the time we save for the building up of the kingdom. Specifically temple work but I think it applies to all areas of the gospel. Am I am using the time I save to build up the kingdom of God? Maybe some of those saved minutes should be dedicated to keeping a history of my life and my family. 
  • When writing, record feelings and experiences. Write things that will be faith promoting and uplifting. When I was younger I would start every entry in my journal with "Today I woke up." Ha! I think this is so funny, "Good for you Marisa I am so glad you woke up today." Since then I think I have gotten into the habit of writing "then we did..." "then this happened." etc. These types of descriptions can be great but I think I need to include more of my feelings, and faith promoting thoughts when I write.
Journal writing has been on my yearly goals for who knows how long and I have gone through phases of doing really well and not writing at all. One of the things that has worked well for me is creating a document titled "Daily Thoughts" this document is an ongoing document that contains thoughts from each day and sometimes they are as little as a few sentences. The whole idea is that I don't need to record everything about the day, just those things that come to mind first. It also can be short and sweet which helps me to actually write rather than feel like I don't have the time.

Starting today Wednesday April 11th, I Marisa am going to write a little something everyday for the rest of the week. You all need to hold me accountable, OK?

How do you guys do with record keeping? How do you do it? When do you do it? Have any of you started a personal or family history (not going to lie I felt stressed after reading the lesson. The writing of a personal history seems really daunting even with only 24 years under my belt : D )

5 comments:

  1. OK, Marissa! How did it go yesterday? =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Way to check up on me! This is what I need every day for the rest of my life. I am happy to report that I did in fact write a couple of paragraphs! (I put a reminder on my cell phone so that I wouldn't forget :D ) It actually felt really good. I vented and afterwards I felt SO much better!

      Delete
  2. Great work!! That is awesome! Those cell phones are so handy aren't they? I do the SAME thing - for just about everything! Glad you got some writing in!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the daily thoughts idea. When I sit down to write in my journal, I sometimes feel like I have to record EVERYTHING. But I don't think that's the point. I think we just need to write...whatever comes to mind and heart. Thanks for your thoughts...keep up the good work!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate the built up pressure I feel when I think of record keeping. It's like I've got to be consistent or don't do it at all. Or "i didn't do that for wally, so should I do that for adele" type thing??? But I remembered a line from my mom today, "no good is ever wasted." And I feel that is VERY true with this topic. Thanks for getting us going!

    ReplyDelete