Saturday, April 7, 2012

"Elegantly Cheap"

That was going to be the title of a blog I was going to do, until I realized I can barely keep up with family blogs and life. But anyway, great idea Amber. I'm excited to see everyone else's staples. Here are a few of ours:

Thai Peanut Noodles from Our Best Bites
We don't do the lime or cilantro or fresh ginger...but I'm sure it would be fabulous with. I hate Pb&J and yet I love this. We throw in frozen veggies with the boiling pasta. About $2 w/ veggies.

Addictive Sweet Potato Burritos (this link is just to our family blog for us to keep track of online recipes, NOT a real cooking blog)
These are sooo yummy. I can make 2 meals worth for under $3-4 IF I soak and cook our own beans, make our own torillas and go cheese-less. And they are still very yummy. Just something you want to triple the batch to make your labor worth it.

Mac'n'Tomato
Elbow noodles (the 'mac' part) and Tomato Juice w/ salt and pepper. That's it. Comforting and the kids love it. Boil the elbow noodles to al dente and rinse til cold (About 3 cups dry noodles for our family). Put back in pan and pour in enough tomato juice until there is enough to look like a soup (3-4 cups). Salt and pepper and re-heat. Less than $2.

Baked Oatmeal
Ok so this isn't dinner, but I just love it so much I have to share. We love to put the zest of one lemon and make the night before.

Anyway, just a few. Excites to see yours.




4 comments:

  1. You are so great! I love that you know how much your meals cost. I'm afraid I don't. So much of our main ingredients comes from food storage (thank you in-laws and parents!). I also love how simple your meals are! I bet you can whip 'em up so quick! I checked out your food blog and I love the Chicken spiral meal? I'm intrigued by the substitution of mayo with a white bean puree. Sounds great! I'm definitely gonna have to try some of yours out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look so yummy! Thanks for sharing. Definitely have them on my list to try in the near future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am really intrigued by the baked oatmeal. I have been trying to make breakfast more often to cut back on the cost of cereal. I think I might give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, and I forgot to say that we LOVE addictive sweet potato burritos. I use the recipe off allrecipes and we make it all the time. I make a huge batch and freeze a whole bunch. This makes a quick meal for Phil to grab for lunch at work. It is filling enough that Phil doesn't seem to mind the lack of meat. I am trying to break him of the idea that real men have to have a huge steak at every meal:)

    ReplyDelete