Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Miserly and Questioning

I'm lucky to be married to Justin; we're both cheap. Cheap, frugal, miserly, thrifty--whatever you want to call it, we're both the positive and negative of "cheap." Ask Britt who has visited most apartments I've lived in since graduating from high school. Look at our monthly menu.  Or my wardrobe. So for better or worse we're cheap. In many ways this is a blessing, but I'm having to learn the hard way about quality of quantity (i.e. don't buy the cheapest shampoo or detergent no matter how attractive the price is.) So while I have a lot of growing up to do, I'm grateful we're cheap.

And yet, this lesson struck me again and again with things I need to work on. I'm excited to get more into the cited verses in the next few days. Here are some of the hard questions I'm asking myself, and will probably need to address with paper and pen in hand.

Questions:
What do I covet? and how am I going to change/repent?
What do I feel entitled to? (food/convenience/product x,y, or z?)
What financial/preparedness issue/to-do am I avoiding?
Do I give full thanks/gratitude to God for my blessings or take credit in it somehow?



This is real-life stuff. I hate growing up some days, the days with confusing insurance claims in hand. I'm excited to learn from you guys this week.  What questions are you asking yourself? How do you deal with budget and saving and keeping calm and happy and hopefully about it all?

1 comment:

  1. You are awesome! I think we're all cheap in our own ways - not a bad thing at all. In fact, I think it's smart to use the "off brand" or find a more thrifty way to have things we want (granted, you are correct, there are certain things I've discovered to be better off with a name-brand). I get so excited when I save a ton of money on something we've been looking for. Is that sad?

    Your list of questions are thought provoking and I feel they are tied to the principles behind what this lesson is about. I like your thinking.

    ReplyDelete