Saturday, April 7, 2012

Economical Recipes

With all of us talking about our situations, I've noticed a trend: none of us are big spenders, have money to spend, and ALL of us are conscious of our budget and are trying to live within our means.

So, I thought it'd be fun if we posted some of our favorite "cheap" recipes. I'd love to see what you guys makes. (this is an indirect idea from Angela, that smart lady) I mean, we have the standard Refried beans with Spanish rice meal...but here are some other ones that we really like and are relatively cheap.

Frankfurter’s with Rice and Beans (serves 6)

Ingredients:

1 TBL Vegetable Oil

1 medium onion, chopped

½ medium green bell pepper, chopped

2 cloves garlic, minced

1 can (14 oz) red beans, rinsed and drained (or I often use kidney beans)

1 can (14 oz) Great Northern beans, rinsed and drained (also called Cannellini beans, or just white beans)

½ lb beef frankfurters, cut into ¼-in thick pieces (I just use whatever hot dogs I have on hand)

1 C rice, cooked (brown or white) (I use leftover rice from another meal…one reason why I make this meal)

1 C vegetable/chicken broth (or bouillon cubes with water)

¼ C ketchup

¼ C packed brown sugar

3 TBL dark molasses

1 TBL mustard

Directions:

  1. 1. Preheat oven to 350° F. Spray 13x9 in. dish with cooking spray.
  2. 2. Heat oil in pot over medium high heat. Add onion, bell pepper, garlic; cook and stir 2 min or until onion is tender
  3. 3. Add beans, frankfurters, rice, broth, ketchup, sugar, molasses, and mustard to vegetables. Stir to combine. Pour into prepared dish.
  4. 4. Cover tightly with foil and bake 15-20 min until heated through

Debbie’s Bean and Pasta Stew (serves 8)

Ingredients:

2 tsp olive oil

1 small onion, chopped

½ Cu bell pepper, chopped

3 cloves garlic, minced

1 can (1 lb) tomatoes, chopped

1 can (1 lb) kidney beans, undrained

1 ½ C small whole grain pasta shells (6 oz)

1 C water

½ tsp oregano

¼ tsp basil

1/8 tsp black pepper

1 can Garbanzo beans, undrained

Parmesan cheese

Directions:

  1. 1. Heat oil in a medium sauce pan. Add onion, bell pepper, and garlic. Saute over medium heat until soft, about 10-12 mins.
  2. 2. Add tomatoes and kidney beans with their liquid. Bring to a boil.
  3. 3. Add shell pasta, water, oregano, basil, and pepper. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 10-12 mins until pasta is tender.
  4. 4. Add garbanzo beans with liquid. Simmer until heated through. If thicker stew desired, simmer uncovered. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.


Four Bean and Sausage Dinner (AKA Beanie-Weanie Casserole) serves 8

Ingredients:

1 lb cooked smoked Turkey sausage, halved lengthwise, and cut into 1/2in thick pieces (again, I use whatever was on sale: smoked sausage, hot dogs, whatever)

1 can (15 oz) each of red kidney beans, black beans, Great Northern beans, Butter beans, rinsed and drained (Butter beans are a bit pricier, but they are so key in this meal: Aldi has ‘em for like .69 a can)

1 8 oz can tomato sauce

1 medium sweet green pepper, chopped

¼ C chopped onion

½ C ketchup

¼ C packed brown sugar

2 tsp Worcestershire sauce

1 tsp dry mustard

½ tsp bottled hot pepper sauce (I don’t remember ever putting this in)

Directions:

  1. 1. In slow cooker combine everything. Cover and cook on low heat setting for 8-10 hours, or high for 4-5 hours.
  2. 2. Serve with rice.

Best Ever Split Pea Soup (serves 6)

Ingredients:

1 Tbl olive oil

2 C chopped onion

2 C chopped carrot (I add extra, 3-4 cups)

½ TBL minced garlic

1 C Yellow split peas

1 C Green split peas (I use just 2 Cups Green Split Peas)

1 ½ tsp seasoning salt

**I add about 4-5 oz of Keilbasa if I have it

Directions:

  1. 1. In a large pot heat oil over medium heat. Cook onion, carrot, and garlic until onion is translucent.
  2. 2. Stir in yellow and green split peas, broth, and seasoning salt.
  3. 3. Cover, bring to a boil, then reduce heat, and simmer 2 ½ hours (If you have less time, just a hotter simmer), stirring frequently
  4. 4. Puree about 3-4 cups of it in a blender. Return to pot, heat through and serve
  5. **I love to serve this with homemade bread, especially bread bowls, or rolls.

Lentil Sausage Soup (serves 8)

Ingredients:

2 TBL vegetabl oil

1 onion, diced

2 carrots, sliced

2 stalks celery with leaves, chopped (I leave out b/c neither me nor my husband like celery)

1 lb Kielbasa sauce, sliced (spicy sausage adds some great flavor, but if I don’t have spicy, I throw in some red pepper flakes)

2 qts chicken broth (8 cups)

1 (15 oz) can crushed tomatoes

1 clove garlic, crushed

1 lb (2 cups) dry lentils, rinsed

2 bay leaves

Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

  1. 1. Heat oil in a large stockpot over medium heat. Stir in the onion, carrots, and celery; cook and stir for 2 mins
  2. 2. Add kielbasa, chicken broth, tomatoes, garlic lentils and bay leaves. Bring to a boil Reduce heat and simmer for 2 hours (or so).
  3. 3. Season to taste with salt and pepper. (If using spicy sausage, very little seasoning is needed)

Black Beans and White Rice (serves 4-6)

Ingredients:

Beans:

1 Cup dried black beans, soaked overnight or using the quick-soak method.

6 Cups water

2 dried chipotle chiles (I’ve never used these…I just add some hot peppers at the end)

2 bay leaves

Rice:

1 TBL extra virgin olive oil

1 onion, finely chopped

2 cloves garlic, minced

1 (15 oz) can diced tomatoes

About 1/3 C of diced green olives

1 C long grain white rice

1 ¾ Cups water

1 ½ tsp salt

**If I’m in the mood to splurge, I’ll add 1 chicken breast, cubed, for even more substance

**If you don’t have dried beans, just use 2 (15 oz) cans black beans, drained and rinsed. Reduce salt to ¾ tsp

Directions:

1. Drain the beans. Combine the beans and the 6 cups fresh water, chiles, and bay leaves in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil, partially covered, then reduce the heat and boil gently until the beans are tender but not mushy, about 1 hour. Drain, discarding the childes and bay leaves

2. Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan. Add the onion and garlic and sauté until the onion is limp, about 3 mins. Add the tomatoes and pimientos and sauté for 1 min. Stir in the rice, cooked beans, water, and salt. Cover and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer until most of the water has been absorbed, about 15 mins. Remove from the heat and stir with a fork. The rice will be quite moist. Dry the pot lid, crumple a clean kitchen cotton or paper towel over the rice. Cover and let stand for 5 mins before serving.


3 comments:

  1. Ok, so split pea soup. Is it actually good? I've put in on my monthly menu several times and always chicken out. I need to know, is it edible?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Split pea soup. It's not Justin's favorite, but he'll definitely gobble it down, especially if I've made some bread to go with it. Both my kids loved it as babies, when I would mill it up for them. It's harder for Mackenzie to eat because there's not really anything for her to grab, so it's not her favorite (this last time when I made it I made hers into a sandwich so she could grab the pieces of bread). Caleb doesn't eat much of anything anymore unless we're "racing" so he's not the best gauge. So, is it edible? I totally think so! Give it a shot! It freezes great, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad you initiated this! I love having new recipes to try! Thanks for sharing some of your go to recipes, I am excited to try them.

    ReplyDelete